This week on the show Steve and Dan talk about Independence Day. In 1776 a group of smart people got together and created a document that outlined the injustices that had been suffered by the citizens of the American colonies at the hands of their English King. The smart authors go on to declare that the colonies will have no further obligation to the crown and that America will now be independent states. That document is called the Declaration of Independence.
Dan and Steve talk about what it was, or might have been like, at the first 4th of July celebrations. They also talk about grilling, illegal fireworks and small town, all-day festivities. Did you know that Benjamin Franklin wanted the turkey to be America’s bird for the great seal?
- June 1776 – A committee was formed to create the formal Declaration of Independence. Lead by Thomas Jefferson with the assistance of John Adams and Benjamin Franklin.
- June 28, 1776 – Thomas Jefferson presents the first draft of the declaration to congress.
- July 4, 1776 – A vote was taken late in the afternoon of July 4th. Of the 13 colonies, 9 voted in favor of the Declaration; 2, Pennsylvania and South Carolina voted No; Delaware was undecided and New York abstained.
- August 1776 – The signing of the Declaration of Independence began on 4 July but was’t actually completed until August.
July 4, 1777 – The first Independence Day celebration takes place.
○ The only place where the flag is never flown at half-mast is the moon.
○ Our national mascot, the bald eagle, can achieve speeds of nearly 200 miles per hour when making a predatory dive
○ “The Star-Spangled Banner” started out as a poem named “The Defense of Fort M’Henry” and was written on the back of an envelope
○ More hot dogs are consumed on the 4th of July than any other day of the year
Last Weeks Trivia Question:
Q: In what city was the first season of MTV’s The Real World set?
A: New York, NY
This Week’s Trivia Question:
Q: What are the copies of the Declaration now known as?
Summer of Podcast II
Be sure and check out these other great shows!